Jet Lag – A what not to do

When Brett and I arrived in Paris we hauled ourselves off the plane, wound our way through the airport, bought metro passes for the week along with RER tickets from and back to the airport, and headed into the heart of Paris.  After an RER ride and some walking (along with a necessary, ‘about face’, to reoriente ourselves in the correct direction haha), we found our apartment!


(normally the shop fronts on either side of the entrance door were open and the area looked quite nice 🙂  )

We were a bit early so we went and grabbed un café (actually we had deux café cremes….I really don’t like plain espresso)  🙂


and then went to meet the owner of the apartment we were renting for the week.  That day we decided to explore our neighborhood and to see whatever we could see by walking in random directions.  We ended up traversing most of the city and found this cool gallery area near Montmartre

IMG_0565We went back to our apartment around 5 pm and were exhausted.  Brett even started falling asleep on the couch around 6 pm…but our ‘landlord’ was supposed to drop off more towels for us around 8 and I just couldn’t have us sleeping in the other room as early as 8 pm when he came by!  So we headed out for a dinner near the modern art museum, le Centre Pompidou, complete with wine 🙂


By the time we got back to the apartment is was near 10 pm and we headed to bed.  Here is where the trouble started….we didn’t set an alarm.  🙂  We figured that we’d spent so much time traveling, hadn’t slept very much on the plane, and just needed to get some sleep.  The next day we woke up at noon… That seems fine enough for a vacation, I guess…, but we had SO much trouble getting to bed the next night and slept quite poorly.  (its really not fun having sleep issues on vacation)   We also had an issue with our alarm that next morning and slept until noon again!

The following night we were both up until around 3 am trying to fall asleep…I even put my phone next to me that night so that I would definitely hear the alarm the next morning.  The next day we woke up a little after 6 to catch a train to Compiègne, the city where I lived for over a year.  We were sleepy on the train but recovered and had a great day.  From then on our hours were much better.  We learned our lesson though….when trying to reorient yourself to a new time system…14 hours of sleep and sleeping until noon isn’t necessary 🙂




Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed